Sunday, November 4, 2007

Site Visit

Just wanted to share a quick story from last week´s visit to our site:


During one of my school visits, I was completely exhausted by my the few hours there. I spent the school day, between 8 and 12, being literally pulled in all directions. The students insisted that they show and explain every tree, plant, and object in the schoolyard. They insisted that I play soccer and baseball, and afterwards that they be allowed to clean my shoes because they were muddied. During class they insisted that they needed my assistance with their classwork, as I spent the morning literally being pulled from one desk to the other. After school they insisted that I visit their homes, where I was welcomed with more warmth then I've ever experienced entering a house. There they filled my hands with bags of the few snacks they sell out of their home, as well as a soda, since you gringos are not used to this heat...true.

These are the moments of enjoyable culture shock. The contrast between these people´s utter poverty and their unrivaled generosity is truly amazing. It is hard for someone coming from the states to comprehend these things, since in the back of our minds we can't help but wonder how someone so poor can be so kind, welcoming, and generous.

No comments: